The Indiana Chapter of the American College of Surgeons was organized in 1952 as an organization of surgeons in the State of Indiana. The first president was Carl H.McCaskey, who served for two terms. All other presidents have served for one year. The Chapter was reorganized in 1985-86 when it became incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation. The Chapter is an independent organization, but chartered by the American College of Surgeons. Officers are elected annually, consisting of a president, president-elect and secretary-treasurer. The corporate board is the Board of Councilors, fifteen in number, five of whom are elected each year for terms of three years. The Council also includes a Young Fellows Association (YFA) representative and three Resident and Associate Society (RAS) representatives, two from the Indiana University Surgery Residency and one from the St. Vincent Surgery Residency. Two Governors at Large are nominated by the Chapter and elected by the Fellows at the Clinical Congress of the College. These two Governors and the Past-President fill out the Board of Councilors.
Under the guidance of Dr. John E. (Jack) Jesseph, Chairman of the Department of Surgery at Indiana University, the Chapter and the Department of Surgery sponsored three meetings each year in addition to the Annual Meeting of the Chapter. Two of these have been retained as visiting professorships, one named in honor of Dr. Jesseph after his death. The close relationship between the University and the Indiana Chapter remains a tribute to his guidance. The fall meeting of the Chapter is the Will C. Moore Lecture.
Dr. Joseph B. Davis of Marion was President of the Chapter from 1965-66, served as Governor at Large, and as Regent of the College. Dr. James E. Bennett of Indianapolis was President of the Chapter from 1972-73, and was Second Vice-President of the College 1991-92.
Charter of the Indiana Chapter
dated November 3, 1952